Yesterday Nova Scotia got slapped by a rather large hurricane (aka Big Bill). He luckily didn't make landfall, but his effect on the shoreline was dramatic. The shoreline is totally churned up and the waves still huge at low tide. I stayed inside yesterday as the storm raged on but this morning's run tempted me to go to the shore to get a look at what the storm had done. Bad idea. Today's workout called for speed segements following by easy running. So happily I went trotting down the street towards the shore when it hit me-peee-eww! The storm had caused a rather smelly after-effect, the smell from the seaweed and other foul-smelling sea life floated about a half kilometer up the road. Okay I thought, I can run through this, it's just a bit stinky.
Onward I go to the shore, passing a few other people out on the boardwalk likely doing what I am, checking out the damage. Suddenly something hits my face, yuck a black fly, (I think) and keep running, then another, then another. In a couple of minutes it was pretty much raining little black flies (the kind that noramlly live on the sand, but now they have no home so to the boardwalk they went). As I ran they flew into my mouth (so I shut that, flaring my nostrils to breathe through my speed sets), my eyes (so I shut them as much as I could and still see) and eventually my nose (which was a big problem at that point). As I ran like this I got a few curious looks from people in bus shelters, but then again they weren't running down the street either so the flies probably didn't seem that bad. I'm feeling pretty ridiculous at this point (especially since I was considering running with my hand in front of my face to block the onslaught of flies) so I went uphill away from the shore to get away from them. I cut my workout a bit short, but I still got my speed work in. Note to self; after a major storm, the shore is NOT the place to run.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment