I haven't exactly been "in the closet" about my marathon training, I just haven't had the time really to post my latest run on facebook or twitter. Frankly between tight work deadlines, my 3 year old battling the flu and my training just sitting in front of the computer during my off-hours feels like work. But last night I posted the fact I made it 30km the other day and I was greeted with a bunch of replies; "30km-are you training for something?" (Uh, no, I just really like to run for 3+ hours-for fun) "Wow, that's pretty far" (Yes, yes it is, my legs can attest to that) "Are you training for a marathon?" (Why yes I am!) "So you're in full swing with this eh?" (Yup, that 30km made me feel pretty committed-or rather that I should be committed-the jury is still out)
Now that the cat is out of the bag I feel a little bit of pressure to do this thing right. I've started paying more attention to my nutrition, I just read the other day that runners should have not only a running training plan but also a nutrition training plan. Another plan? I historically don't follow nutrition plans that well. I look for loopholes to get in an extra treat. But I just finished reading my latest copy of Runners World and it offered some really good advice on injury prevention and nutrition. Maybe if I look at my nutrition plan as an injury prevention plan it might be easier to follow, time will tell I guess.
The best news though is that I seem to have inspired a couple of co-workers to take up running. One told me yesterday she has signed up to do the 5k race during the marathon weekend. It will be her first race ever. Right now she's struggling to get 10 minutes straight of running in at a time, but she knows if she keeps at it she'll get there. I'm so proud of her. I remember 3 years ago when I started and the 5km seemed like a huge distance to conquer. Now 60+ pounds lost, 7 half marathons and probably the same number in 10k and 5k races, here I am training for a marathon. Wow. How far I've managed to come.
This Sunday is the annual Moose Run (25km) starting at the Cow Bay lodge on Cow Bay Rd. I ran this last year and had a great time. The folks that come out are fantastic runners and some of the most friendly and kind people I've met. It's a no-frills race but it offers million-dollar scenery of the coastline. I'm really looking forward to my husband joining me on this year's run. It will be his furthest run to date!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment